guix-devel

Re: Switching to GCC 4.8

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Switching to GCC 4.8
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 00:34:29 +0100

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> There’s still one problem though: the infamous “libgcc_s.so.1 must be
> installed for pthread_cancel to work”, which breaks Guile.  We didn’t
> have that problem before because libgc.so NEEDed libgcc_s.so; this is no
> longer the case, for some reason.
>
> What’s more, the guile RUNPATH contains ${gcc}/lib (where libgcc_s.so
> is), but the dynamic linker ignores that entry:

After some more investigation I found an explanation:

  http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-help/2013-11/msg00026.html

We could tell glibc to consider $(gcc)/lib as one part of the “system
search path” (see $(user-defined-trusted-dirs) in $glibc/elf/Makefile).
However, that means glibc-final would hold a reference to gcc-boot0,
which is not what we want (and that’s the reason why glibc uses dlopen
in the first place.)

So commit 65d3b7c just changes GCC to always link against libgcc_s.so.
That’s not optimal, but not unreasonable either.

Ludo’.