guix-devel

Re: Package Definition Place

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Package Definition Place
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 13:52:35 +0100

On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 07:37:26PM -0500, Kete wrote:

     > make && ./pre-inst-env guix build <pkg-name>

     Thanks, what do you do with the scm (Scheme) package definition file? Does
it
     play a part in that? Do we place it in the current directory?

The .scm file usually stays in the directory gnu/packages/

     What if I used 'guix download', and the tarball is in /nix/store? Will it
just
     work?

No.  "guix download" is a convenience function for package developers.  It
downloads the
tarball, places it in the store and reports the hash.  Nothing else (so far as
I'm aware).

     Wait, what is "pre-inst-env"? I'm a little lost. I'm just trying to
contribute
     a package of my shell, so I can use it in Emacs.

pre-inst-env merely sets a number of environment parameters so that you can
build and install
newly defined pacakges without having to have those package definitions
actually installed.

Maybe having a look at what is currently in gnu/packags/emacs.scm will help

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3