guix-devel

Re: Overrding the localstatedir

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Overrding the localstatedir
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 16:43:24 +0100

On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 04:23:57PM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     Hi!

     And happy new year to everyone, where applicable!  :-)

     John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

     > After a while I run "guix package -i guix" which installs just fine.

     (Note that there???s little point in doing that since it gives you the
     same version that you just installed.  If you wanted to use the latest,
     run ???guix pull??? instead (info "(guix) Invoking guix pull").)

     > But sadly now guix is broken.  Wheneve I run any command I get:
     >
     >  guix package: error: failed to connect to
`/var/nix/daemon-socket/socket': No such file or directory

     > Shouldn't we have a --localstatedir option or an environment variable so
that guix knows where to find its state
     > dir?

     There is one already.  Among other things, it tells the Guix clients
     (all the ???guix??? commands) where to find the daemon socket, and it tells
     the daemon where to find its database that describes what???s in the
     store.

Is there??!!!  I don't see any mention of it in the documenation.  And when I
type "guix --localstatedir=/var" I get the
following error message:

 guix: unrecognized option '--localstatedir=/var'
 Try `guix --help' for more information

I think you are refering to the configure variable.  My suggestion is also to
add one to the guix binary itself to override
that specified at configure time.

     Presumably, the problem you have here is that the Guix you installed by
     hand had a different $localstatedir than the other one.  The ???guix???
     package in Guix is built with --localstatedir=/var.

That is correct  and this is the crux of the problem.  When building guix from
a tarball, using ./configure; make ; make install the localstatedir is
PREFIX/var but that defined in gnu/packages/package-management.scm uses
--localstatedir=/var

     Could you check that?

So so sum up, my suggestions are:

1.  Either a) remove "--localstatedir=/var" from the configure-flags of the
definition of guix in package-management.scm;
    Or b) Set the default localstatedir in configure.ac to /var

2.  Add a run time flag to guix to override whatever localstatedir was given at
configure time.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3