guix-devel

Re: autoconf command not found

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: autoconf command not found
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 16:13:43 +0100

Kete <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Monday, January 06, 2014 01:56:00 PM Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Where does this build log come from?
>
>> Apparently the log above comes from a build, i.e., something run in the
>> build environment (chroot, etc.)
>
> Yes, this comes from './pre-inst-env guix build zsh'.

OK.

>> What’s installed in the users’ profiles doesn’t matter here; what
>> matters is the ‘inputs’ field of the package being built.  Apparently
>> here ‘autoconf’ would need to be added as an input to that package.
>>
>> However, that’s often a bad idea, but it’s hard to discuss without
>> having more details.  Could you explain what you are trying to build and
>> how, so we can better investigate?
>
> Do you need more info?

Yes: why is Zsh now trying to run autoconf?  Apparently it does that
after having successfully run ./configure, right?

Normally Autoconf-based projects built from tarball do *not* need
Autoconf.  Now, if Zsh’s build system requires it (which would be
bogus), just add ‘autoconf’ (and perhaps ‘automake’) to ‘inputs’.

> PS – I built git guix inside of the guix 0.5 emacs, and I felt like that may
> have had unfavorable results. Inside git guix emacs, programs like the shells
> are coming from
> the OS packages instead of guix. I don't think that happened with guix
> 0.5 inside its emacs. It's hard to explain. Emacs is loading from guix store.
> The two /nix/store strings below are different:
>
> $ ls -l ~/.guix-profile/bin
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 guix-builder0 guix-builder 58 Dec 31  1969
> /home/.../.guix-profile/bin ->
> /nix/store/qpb773jxk37yylcrm5yrmxpkb5lrc3ma-emacs-24.3/bin
>
> $ guix package -I
> emacs   24.3    out     /nix/store/c4khfda7zfmxmkgy9anxb3pdv8agzcsx-emacs-24.3

That is weird (though Emacs has nothing to do with that, I suppose.)
What does ‘ls -l ~/.guix-profile’ show?

Thanks,
Ludo’.