guix-devel

Re: Package synopses and blurbs translation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Package synopses and blurbs translation
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2014 11:31:49 +0100

On Tue, Jan 07, 2014 at 11:17:35AM +0100, Ludovic Court??s wrote:
     John Darrington <address@hidden> skribis:

     > I think the most desirable approach is to encourage package maintainers,
     > append the "Synopsis", "Description", "GenericName" etc strings to the
.pot
     > files for their projects.  This saves having a team of translators
dedicated
     > to translating names/descriptions of packages and the translators who
are
     > already familiar with a package are in the best position to make a
translation.

     > However, not all package maintainers will comply.

     Right, which means the only solution that works in practice is what we
     have now.

Well, does it work now?  do we have translations of every package description
in Womb?
The plain ugly truth is that we have no solution which fully works now.  We
have several
(equally good solutions) which are half adopted.  I don't think that telling
all maintainers,
that henceforth they must do ... is going to be effective.  So that is why I
suggest that
using the several solutions that we have, with fallback is going to be most
effective in
the short term.

     In addition, since .desktop files don???t use gettext, I suppose it would
     be harder to share translations.  Someone would have to come up with a
     tool that gets translations from the www po files, and extracts them to
     a .desktop.

The tool is trivial and already available.  Look how we do it in PSPP :

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/pspp.git/tree/src/ui/gui/gen-dot-desktop.sh

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3