guix-devel

Re: GUIX on fedora 14

From: Omar Tarabai
Subject: Re: GUIX on fedora 14
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 23:15:55 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

Omar Tarabai <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have Guix 0.5 installed on a fedora 14, 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> Running the following:
> guix package --verbose -i tar
>
> I get the error:
> guix package: error: build failed: unable to fork: Operation not permitted
>
> I traced the error to the clone() operation in build.cc.

Right.  The original report is at <http://bugs.gnu.org/15209>.

However, CLONE_NEWNET & co. appeared in 2.6.24 according to clone(2), so
this kernel should have them.  Perhaps the libc headers lack the
definitions; could you check if they’re in /usr/include/bits/sched.h?
What libc version is it?

They are all there in /usr/include/bits/sched.h, libc version 2.13

> As mentioned by Ludovic in a previous conversation with Matthias
> Wachs, it seems to be a problem of a missing capability CAP_SYS_ADMIN.
> I tried running the daemon as root only or with
> --build-users-group=guix-builder but I get the same error. I also
> tried isolating the clone operation in a test script to verify the
> problem, fails again (running as root).
>
> I tried removing all the CLONE_* flags as recommended by Ludovic, I get the
> error:
> build error: cannot set loopback interface flags: Permission denied
>
> I assume its because of the missing CLONE_NEWNET

Yes.  You could comment out the few lines that set up the loopback
interface in build.cc, line 2074 onwards.  The global ‘lo’ interface
will be visible in the build environment anyway.

Let us know how far that gets.

Now I get the error:
build error: unable to make filesystem `/' private: Operation not permitted

> It seems that for some reason on this system, processes started with root
> privileges does not get the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability.

What makes you think so?  To me it seems to be about working around the
assumptions that there’s a separate network interface name space, etc.

Can you elaborate on this point?

I hope this helps.  What would be best is to switch to a newer kernel
and libc.  :-)

Unfortunately we are stuck with this for now :(

Thanks a lot,
Omar

Thanks,
Ludo’.