guix-devel

Re: fetching substitutes slow

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: fetching substitutes slow
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 14:13:14 +0100

Sree Harsha Totakura <address@hidden> skribis:

> So, I removed the timeout with the attached patch and the substitute
> downloads are working again.  This time I observed that the speed at
> which the substitute-binary.scm downloads the nar file is far low than
> when the same file is downloaded through wget.  I haven't done extensive
> testing on this to confirm firmly, but it looks like the http-fetch
> implementation is not efficient.  Can anyone confirm this?

What version of Guile are you using?

With Guile > 2.0.5, you get the “is slow” warning, but downloading
proceeds anyway (and there should be a progress report.)  The intent
with 2.0.5 is that there’s no warning at all because its API didn’t
allow us to resume download.

Are you observing something different?

Thanks,
Ludo’.