guix-devel

Re: [Nix-dev] /dev/shm inconsistency in chroot

From: Shea Levy
Subject: Re: [Nix-dev] /dev/shm inconsistency in chroot
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 16:45:31 -0500

On 01/24/2014 04:17 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
Sree Harsha Totakura <address@hidden> skribis:

On 01/24/2014 06:13 PM, Mark H Weaver wrote:
Shea Levy <address@hidden> writes:
Another option is to mount  a devtmpfs there, for systems which support it.
devtmpfs may give different devices on each machine and they may hinder
our build reproducibility.
OK.

The thing is, we don't actually want most of the system's devices to be
in the build environment, do we?  These are all impurities.  I don't
think we want /dev/sda, for example.
Sure, I agree.  I propose we start enumerating commonly needed devices
and create them.
Sounds good.

The major/minor device numbers may not be portable across OSes, which
may be a problem for Nix, so that code may need to be #ifdef’d.

Generally a good idea, but note that for now chroot is not enabled on non-Linux

If in future, a package requires access to certain device while
building (or during tests) we can include it in our list of created
device nodes.
Yes, but keep in mind that we’re not going to change that often, because
it’s inconvenient.

Thanks,
Ludo’.