guix-devel

gnu-build-system should set DESTDIR

From: John Darrington
Subject: gnu-build-system should set DESTDIR
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:19:34 +0100

Per recent discussions:

I think the make install target in gnu-build-system should set DESTDIR to "/"
(or "/.")
Rationale:

Many upstream makefiles (eg:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-themes-standard/tree/themes/HighContrast/icons/Makefile.am)

assume that when DESTDIR is unset (or is "") then the package is being
installed in a "live" system:

if test -z "$(DESTDIR)"; then \
                echo "Updating Gtk icon cache."; \
                $(gtk_update_icon_cache); \
else \
                echo "*** Icon cache not updated.  After (un)install, run
this:"; \
                echo "***   $(gtk_update_icon_cache)"; \
fi

I have noticed that a number of packages in /nix/store/ have their own version
of icon-theme.cache leading to warnings when doing guix package --install

So we need to set DESTDIR to *something* and to arrange for some kind of
post-install hook to update
the cache.  The same goes for top level info nodes.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3