guix-devel

Re: Guix tutorial

From: Nikita Karetnikov
Subject: Re: Guix tutorial
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 01:29:52 +0400

> I wrote a basic guide[1] for contributors. It covers instalation and usage
> of guix, and also writing simple recipes and contributing to the project.

Thanks for spreading the word!

> If you find unpolished corners, please, comment , and I'll update the
> post.

Here goes…

> - Install guix . Download the git version from git clone
> git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix.git

‘git clone’ is not enough to install Guix, you also have to run
‘./configure && make && make check && make install’.

Also, there is an extraneous space before the dot.

> - Run server.  ./pre-inst-env guix-daemon --build-users-group=guix-builder

I’d add a note saying that ‘./pre-inst-env’ is only needed when Guix
isn’t installed system-wide.

> Search package.  ./pre-inst-env scripts/guix package -s hello

No need for ‘scripts/’.

> The file is in gnu/packages/base.scm

There’s an extraneous newline after this sentence.

> here we added PREFIX variable in make phase, and we removed configure phase
> and test.

s/here/Here/.

> The community is also important in opensource projects.

“While free software by any other name would give you the same freedom,
it makes a big difference which name we use: different words convey
different ideas. […] So please mention the Free Software movement when
you talk about the work we have done, and the software we have
developed—such as the GNU/Linux operating system. […] Sooner or later
these users will be invited to switch back to proprietary software for
some practical advantage. Countless companies seek to offer such
temptation, and why would users decline? Only if they have learned to
value the freedom free software gives them, for its own sake. It is up
to us to spread this idea—and in order to do that, we have to talk about
freedom.” [1]

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-software-for-freedom.html