guix-devel

Transition to /gnu/store

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Transition to /gnu/store
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2014 18:07:28 +0100

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> Can you give some advice on how best to transition from /nix/store to
> /gnu/store on an existing Guix system?  Can $PREFIX/var/nix and the
> sqlite database be shared, or do I have to start with a clean slate?
> Any other suggestions?

Sorry, I was planning to mention that eventually.

(I have not yet changed the default store directory that ./configure
chooses, but will do so in the near future.)

You don’t have to migrate to /gnu/store now.  You can keep using
/nix/store on your machine.

The only possible downside is that hydra.gnu.org will no longer provide
binaries for /nix/store, so everything will have to be built locally.
Also, if you re-configure Guix, you’ll have to make sure to pass
--with-store-dir=/nix/store when the default has changed to /gnu/store.

Since moving to /gnu/store involves a full re-build or re-download, I
recommend doing that once we’ve merged core-updates (hopefully within a
couple of weeks.)

I would also like to change the database directory to $PREFIX/var/guix.
This change is more intrusive: if you want to keep using the store
database that’s under $PREFIX/var/nix, you’ll have to manually change
the value in Makefile.am.

HTH,
Ludo’.