guix-devel

Re: [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [GSoC] GNUnet binary distribution system
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 14:06:38 +0100

Pierre-Antoine Rault <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 10/03/2014 22:09, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

>> The initial discussion [0] left open the question of where
>> binaries themselves should be stored.  A possibility would be to
>> use GNUnet’s DHT simply as a discovery mechanism, and then to
>> establish a connection directly to the user’s machine, which would
>> run, say, an HTTP server.
>
> That's what I had in mind. Now, considered the post [2] by Christian
> Grothoff, we might consider using either an HTTP server for
> performance or GNUnet's MESH for anonymity (and security). We should
> balance needs and ease of implementation.
>
> [2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-03/msg00113.html

Yes.

Could you experiment with the MESH interface, and sketch how files would
be served concretely?  You could use the ‘gnunet-mesh’ command-line tool
for quick experimentation, although I haven’t found its documentation.

[...]

>>> * I think we should focus on ease of use, since it could become a
>>> good alternative to setting up a full fledged server to share
>>> officially supported packages and unofficial ones (like the AUR
>>> for Archlinux).
>>
>> That’s been discussed before (see
>> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2013-08/msg00127.html>),
>>

> but it’s orthogonal.
>
> Then we have to extend the guix tools to cover user modules (overlays,
> that is).

Yes, but as I said, this is unrelated to the project at hand.

>> This proposal needs discussion with both Guix and GNUnet people
>> (and notably Sree Harsha, who is at the intersection of both
>> projects :-)), to work towards a concrete road map of things to
>> hack on.
>
> Sure ; It's the only way to have a clear and shared view of what parts
> of Guix are involved in the project. I'm working on a roadmap draft
> for now.

Great.  We can’t start this as a GSoC project unless we have a
reasonably clear view of what needs to be implemented.  We must not end
up re-discussing the general design once the coding period has started.
There are still a number of open issues, so it’s important to refine
that.

Thanks,
Ludo’.