guix-devel

Re: Transition to /gnu/store

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Transition to /gnu/store
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 12:06:10 +0100

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> Nothing prevents us from merging core-updates several times before a release.
> As I see it, core-updates is there so that people tracking git master are not
> forced to recompile too often.

Too often and too much.  Also, changes in core-updates can potentially
break more stuff.

> But a change to master that forces recompilat- ion should be linked
> with a merge of core-updates into master, which comes "for free" at
> this moment.

Right, but in master we don’t change “core” stuff like build/utils.scm,
glibc, etc.  Sometimes there are changes that trigger a lot of rebuild,
but never as much as what we do in core-updates.

Now, I agree we must find a way to avoid core-updates to last for too
long.  That probably means we need to agree on a time-based policy.

Ideally, we’d make a new release every two months (we’re late this
time), and thus have a core-updates branch living in between two
releases.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.