guix-devel

Guix hacking ideas

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Guix hacking ideas
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:10:23 +0100

Hello!

Here are ideas of hacks that came to mind recently.  These are
independent tasks, so they would be suitable for something like GSoC or
for someone looking for a small project or a way to get started with
Guix hacking.

  • Writing a GTK+ GUI for Guix using Guile-GNOME (I looked and I don’t
    think PackageKit is suitable for us, for various reasons.)

  • Write a tool, say ‘guix scan’, that scans a source tree and its
    configure.ac etc. files, and produces a template package definition.

  • Write tools to synchronize meta-data with the Free Software
    Directory (FSD).  This is currently technically difficult because
    it’s impossible to export the FSD database non-interactively (see
    the ‘TODO’ file), so this would need discussion with the FSD
    hackers.

Perhaps we should have an ideas page on gnu.org/s/guix.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?  :-)

Ludo’.