guix-devel

Re: error: build failed: committing transaction: disk I/O error

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: error: build failed: committing transaction: disk I/O error
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 02:52:02 -0400

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> In recent weeks on my system, it has become fairly common for the daemon
>> to get into a bad state, where all build attempts fail with messages
>> like this:
>>
>> mhw:~/guix-core-updates$ ./pre-inst-env guix build -n emacs
>> error (ignored): aborting transaction: cannot rollback - no transaction is
>> active
>> guix build: error: build failed: committing transaction: disk I/O error
>> mhw:~/guix-core-updates$
>
> (The message comes from SQLite.)

I looked into this further, and the problem is that sqlite is trying to
mmap a 32K page, but my kernel is configured for 64K pages, so the mmap
fails.

It appears that I'll need to apply a fix for sqlite, once I figure out
how to do so.  Unfortunately, it seems possible that the page size is
effectively part of the file format, and that fixing this would render
existing sqlite databases unreadable on MIPS.  I'm awaiting moderator
approval to subscribe to their mailing lists, and will consult with the
developers ASAP.

    Thanks,
      Mark