guix-devel

Re: Emacs UI for Guix (GSOC)

From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
Subject: Re: Emacs UI for Guix (GSOC)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 23:04:00 +0900

Hello Ludovic,

On Mar 21 2014, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I know its too late and few hours before the dead line of GSOC
>> application. Anyway I wrote a proposal based on previously discussed by Xue¹
>
> Heh, we can thank him.  ;-)

Yes.  Big thanks to him.

>> in the list. I am attaching that here.  I would like to work on this whether
>> or not I will get selected for GSOC. I seek your comments (especially
>> Ludovic.)
>
> I don’t see significant differences compared to what we originally
> discussed with Xue, and I like the proposal.
>
> One thing the proposal doesn’t mention is the possibility to have an
> additional mode to browse the generation history.  I think it’d be nice
> to keep it as a “bonus item”.

Yes, you raised that in a reply to Xue's mail. I will include that as well.

>> * Timeline of the development.
>> ** Before April 21:
>> - Getting familiar with guix concepts and code base
>> - Study Emacs Package.el implementation.
>> - Adding new package to guix.
>>
>> ** April 20 – May 23:
>> - Start on guix.el coding.
>> - Initial work on Elisp interface of guix function calls.
>> - Finalizing on guix.el implementation concepts that includes how to interact
>>   with guix from Emacs.
>
> An open question is whether to rely on Geiser for communication between
> Emacs and Guix.  I suggest discussing it with jao, the author of Geiser.

I will mail him, before so I will look into Geiser code.

>> ** May 24 – July 15:
>> - Implementation of glue code between Elisp and Guix.
>> - Work towards primary usable implementation of guix.el.
>>
>> ** July 16 – July 24:
>> - Code cleanup
>> - Fixing initial reported bugs.
>> - Preparing for submission of mid term evaluation
>>
>> ** June 27th Mid term evaluation
>>
>> ** June 28  – July 15:
>> - Further changes to improve code functionality.
>> - Refactoring code if required.
>> - Writing tests
>>
>> ** July 15 – July 25:
>> - Start working on documentation to meet GNU documentation standards.
>> - Fixing remaining bugs.
>> - Code cleanup
>>
>> ** July 26 - August 11
>> - reserved time left for unexpected delays.
>> - During whole period I will be communicating with mentor in guix IRC
>> channel.
>
> Looks good to me!

Thanks.

> Also, an important part of GSoC, IMO, is communication.  So I’d expect
> that we keep in touch on IRC and the mailing list during GSoC, so we can
> share our thoughts, problems, experience, etc.

Sure, I will. I will have lot of question as I am very new working with
scheme.

I will submit the proposal and will send you the final copy.

Thanks.
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు.
YYR