guix-devel

Re: Problems with handicapped 'bash' from glibc package

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Problems with handicapped 'bash' from glibc package
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 16:19:33 -0400

> Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> The 'bash' in the glibc package is handicapped in at least two ways:
>>
>> * It can't set the locale, because it looks for locales in
>>   /nix/store/eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-glibc-intermediate-2.18-locales
>>
>> * It can't look up anything from NSS, such as passwd data, because it
>>   tries to load the modules from
>>   /nix/store/eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-glibc-intermediate-2.18
>>
>> There are two problems that need to be addressed, I think:
>>
>> * Users could easily end up with this handicapped 'bash' as their
>>   primary bash, if they installed (or upgraded?) 'glibc' since the last
>>   time I installed 'bash'.  This happened to me, for example.
>
> I realized that this particular problem is easily solved by moving
> glibc’s bash away from $bindir, for instance to $libexecdir.
>
> I’m trying it out locally, and plan to commit to core-updates if
> everything works as expected (hopefully as the last core-updates
> change.)
>
> Thoughts?

Hmm.  We need a more intelligent union.scm anyway, and that would solve
this problem and many others.  Therefore, I'd be inclined to avoid
making this change, and instead work on union.scm.  I want to optimize
it anyway, since it takes over 5 minutes to build my profile, which is a
bit painful.

I confess that I'm biased, because it would mean throwing away most of
the core-updates build outputs my YeeLoong 8101B has produced over the
last four days, and starting again from scratch :-(

So perhaps I should recuse myself from this decision.

     Mark