guix-devel

Re: Searchable archive at MARC?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Searchable archive at MARC?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 15:08:21 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2014 at 01:44:40AM -0400, Hank Leininger wrote:
>> Would there be any objection to the guix lists being added?
>
> I am not in favour of any external body hosting copies of our mailing list.
> There is an archive at gnu, that is indexed by search engines, and I do not
> see which problem an additional copy solves.

Given the subject of Hank’s message, I suppose MARC is more easily
searchable.  I personally don’t have anything against it, especially if
it makes people’s lives easier.

For the record, our lists are also mirrored at GMane:

  http://gmane.org/find.php?list=guix

> I am not a lawyer, but I also think it is illegal without the explicit
> permission of each and every poster, who holds the copyright to their
> contribution.

Well, in practice, when posting to an open (as opposed to
invitation-only) mailing list with a public archive, one implicitly
accepts the message to be visible by anyone, unless X-No-Archive or
similar is used.

My 2¢,
Ludo’.