guix-devel

Re: User defined custom packages.

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: User defined custom packages.
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 11:54:30 +0200

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <address@hidden> skribis:

> Is there place where I can put custom defined package definitions?. This is
> similar to ".emacs". I use (and contribute) el-get¹ for emacs which allows put
> package definitions (recipes what they are called) in .emacs. Those definition
> can be new packages or overwrite of original definitions in the guix repo as
> per user liking.
>
> This has additional benefit of not touching the guix source at all when
> testing a package definition.
>
> To be clear, if guix has rc file per user basis, which it invocates each time
> any of guix command is run.

There’s no such rc file, but it would probably be a good idea.

As for custom package definitions, yes it’s possible to have them, with
the caveat that they cannot be referred to by name with the ‘guix’
commands.  Instead, you’d have to do, say:

  guix build -e '(@ (yagnesh packages) my-emacs)'

This looks up the ‘my-emacs’ variable in the (yagnesh packages) module,
which is assumed to be in Guile’s search path.

HTH,
Ludo’.