guix-devel

Re: User defined custom packages.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: User defined custom packages.
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 23:45:04 -0400

Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala <address@hidden> writes:

> Is there place where I can put custom defined package definitions?. This is
> similar to ".emacs". I use (and contribute) el-get¹ for emacs which allows put
> package definitions (recipes what they are called) in .emacs. Those definition
> can be new packages or overwrite of original definitions in the guix repo as
> per user liking.

At present, the best way to do this is to build and run guix from a git
checkout (using ./pre-inst-env), make your own local branch, and
periodically merge changes from origin/master into your local branch,
or, alternatively, rebase your local changes onto origin/master.

I've been using this method for a while now.  For example, on my local
branch I have gnutls configured to support the system-wide trust store
in /etc/ssl/certs.  I have a private ~/bin/guix script that contains
this:

  #!/home/mhw/.guix-profile/bin/bash
  exec $HOME/guix/pre-inst-env guix "$@"

where $HOME/guix contains a git working directory with my 'mhw' branch
checked out.  When I want to incorporate changes from origin/master:

  git fetch
  git rebase origin/master

    Mark