guix-devel

Ruby install

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Ruby install
Date: Sun, 4 May 2014 19:51:44 +0200

Hi,

I have a working Ruby installation at

https://gitorious.org/guix/pjotrps-guix/source/61d21fad72d49cbbf0135b5ac7362bb0f64167fa:gnu/packages/ruby.scm

This is my first GUIX package (I have written Nix packages before), so
please have a look.

I intend to patch rubygems so gems get installed in a $HOME dir
specifically named after the SHA. This will accomodate people who just
want to use rubygems.

I am also going to add particalur gems to GUIX, each going into its
own expression. That will be a bit tricky because I don't want
Rubygems to install dependencies. Not sure how the Nix guys did it, so
I will study that.

Do we have a HOWTO on how to run expressions in the Guile debugger?
Never used that and would like to see how individual statements
evaluate in LISP.

I am really impressed with GUIX, and I think it is a no-brainer to use
a real functional programming language for this. Thanks Ludo and
others!  I just wish I could use GUIX on servers where I don't have (and
won't get) root access. Or is there a way? With Nix I could run as a
normal user.

Pj.