guix-devel

Re: Ruby install

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Ruby install
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 10:29:22 +0200

On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:03:30AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > I am really impressed with GUIX, and I think it is a no-brainer to use
> > a real functional programming language for this.

I was imprecise here. It is my first real foray into LISP. What I
meant is that it is great to use a real programming language with the
most important functional characteristics of recursion and anonymous
functions :)

I believe much of Nix could be greatly simplified if they had opted
for this route. Did you see NixOS is speeding up the ranks in
distrowatch? I bet that is partly due to GUIX.

> > Thanks Ludo and
> > others!  I just wish I could use GUIX on servers where I don't have (and
> > won't get) root access. Or is there a way? With Nix I could run as a
> > normal user.
>
> It???s the same as Nix, which means that if the daemon cannot run as root,
> then it???s usable in a ???degraded??? mode (info "(guix) Build Environment
> Setup").

That is good news. Anyone here using it as such?

Pj.