guix-devel

Re: Ruby install

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Ruby install
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 13:42:28 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Mon, May 05, 2014 at 10:03:30AM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> > I am really impressed with GUIX, and I think it is a no-brainer to use
>> > a real functional programming language for this.
>
> I was imprecise here. It is my first real foray into LISP. What I
> meant is that it is great to use a real programming language with the
> most important functional characteristics of recursion and anonymous
> functions :)

The key benefit with using a general-purpose programming language is
that you get all the tools (REPL, IDE, debugger, compiler, i18n, etc.),
and it makes the whole thing composable.

Composability means that it’s trivial to implement things like ‘guix
build --with-source’, or Nikita’s ‘guix prefetch’ command, or the
program that builds <http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/package-list.html>,
for example.

Ludo’.