guix-devel

Re: Building Guix

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Building Guix
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 20:51:29 +0200

On Fri, May 09, 2014 at 12:57:18PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> Interestingly I found a Guix expression in Nixpkgs! It is dated, guix-0.3,
> but works. Anything I need to know to update that to guix-0.6? I may do just
> that :)
>

> https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/master/pkgs/tools/package-management/guix/default.nix

Two questions:

1. Why is guile not simply a build dependency? Or is is that the tar
ball is expected in place for bootstrapping and will fail otherwise.
Looks a bit odd to have guile in multiple places.

2. What do we do with the store? I know Nix should move to /gnu ;) My
personal solution would be to hard link between /nix and /gnu. Will
the default be good enough?

It will be a good thing to maintain this Nix package until Guix comes
with all the binary installation options that Nix has. Be interesting
to see when Debian accepts a Guix package. Don't see why not, really,
since they allow for rubygems, cpan etc.

Pj.