guix-devel

Re: "profil-drv" error or what am I doing wrong?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: "profil-drv" error or what am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 10:57:03 +0200

Hi,

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

> As there is no user list, let me use this one.
>
> I am trying the GNU Guix 0.6 as published in
>
> https://savannah.gnu.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=7939

I suppose you’re referring to the VM image, right?

> however I am not able to finish any "guix package -i" as it always
> reports error in compilation, either profile.drv or perl etc.

What error does it report?

> BTW: in the X session I can not switch to root as there is no "su"
> available by default.

Yes, this has been fixed since then.

> guix refresh just prints various packages that "would be upgraded" but
> does nothing.

That’s intended:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/guix.html#Invoking-guix-refresh

As noted there, the primary audience of the guix refresh command is
developers of the GNU software distribution.

> I am confused with dmd too at I do not know how to list running
> services, therefore I can not enable or disable anything as I do not
> know what is available.

As root, try running ‘deco status dmd’; more info at:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/dmd/manual/dmd.html#Invoking-deco

To become root on the 0.6 VM image, you’ll have to switch to VT 1, and
from there log in as root.

If this is an option for you, I’d recommend trying Guix from master, or
waiting until 0.7 is out (within a month or so.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.