guix-devel

Re: core-updates frozen

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: core-updates frozen
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 22:25:25 +0200

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>> As discussed before, we’ll merge the branch before June 13th.
>
> The branch is now frozen.  Hydra is building it all now, and unless
> something goes wrong, I’ll merge it once it’s done building it.

I just fixed a mistake, which triggers a rebuild: commit 953c9fc changed
ncurses so that it builds a separate libtinfo library, which I thought
was a common and good thing.  Here’s what’s at stake, per ncurses’
INSTALL:

    --with-termlib[=XXX]
        When building the ncurses library, organize this as two parts:  the
        curses library (libncurses) and the low-level terminfo library
        (libtinfo).  This is done to accommodate applications that use only
        the latter.  The terminfo library is about half the size of the total.

        If an option value is given, that overrides the name of the terminfo
        library.  For instance, if the wide-character version is built, the
        terminfo library would be named libtinfow.  But the libtinfow interface
        is upward compatible from libtinfo, so it would be possible to overlay
        libtinfo.so with a "wide" version of libtinfow.so by renaming it with
        this option.

But it turns out that most packages don’t expect it this way, and in
fact recent distros don’t seem to do it; furthermore, we don’t have any
package that expects libtinfo separately at this point.  Hence the
revert in 7190ae7 (see the log for details.)

Ludo’.