guix-devel

Re: "profil-drv" error or what am I doing wrong?

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: "profil-drv" error or what am I doing wrong?
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 19:37:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

What error does it report?

This is what is at the end:

 makefile:550: recipe for target 'install.perl' failed
            make[1]: *** [install.perl] Error 28
            make[1]: Leaving directory
/tmp/nix-build-perl-5.16.1.drv-0/perl-5.16.1'
            makefile:535: recipe for target 'install' failed
            make: *** [install] Error 2
            phase `install' failed after 90 seconds
            builder for
/gnu/store/pg7qk32dirrqwagwd12n533v483hyipx-perl-5.16.1.drv' failed
             with exit code 1

All this means that it failed to build Perl.  Since it happens during
the install phase, it may be a no-space-left condition; could you check
if this is the case?

Could you check the tail of the log file returned by

 guix build --log-file
/gnu/store/pg7qk32dirrqwagwd12n533v483hyipx-perl-5.16.1.drv

This produces a log file in .bz2 compressed archive. First I thought bzip2 is not there, but then I found it is just not linked into any PATH.

But you are probably right, as the qcow is already 1.5GB.
df: cannot read table of mounted file systems: No such file or directory

df /dev/sda1 confirms there is not much space left, it is then pretty hard to use guix when there is not a plenty of space to compile. It could be I first tried to build packages as user and it consumed additional space.

I started with "clean" qcow again...

guix pull
prints few messages and then just sits there, doing nothing.

At this point it is probably building all of the above dependencies, but
I understand this can be confusing because there are no messages being
printed.

I think it gets stuck for the same reason as any other build - not enought space, because the load of the system was 0
guix pull on a clean qcow ends with
guix pull: error: build failed: build of `/gnu/store/ffixc7nqdf5rlydkzi9bv5ylx9y8blh0-guix-latest.drv' failed

 guix build --log-file
/gnu/store/ffixc7nqdf5rlydkzi9bv5ylx9y8blh0-guix-latest.drv
 accepted connection from pid 13623, uid 0
 guix build: error: no build log for
'/gnu/store/ffixc7nqdf5rlydkzi9bv5ylx9y8blh0-guix-latest.drv'
 1 operations

As everything remains on the disk it looks to me like it is building with
"keep build tree of failed builds"
guix gc cleaned it up.. right? but no clue what gets wrong this time.

However I am probably doomed to not get this rolling.

But I’m sure you’ll find other things that are under-documented or
undocumented.  Don’t hesitate to report them.

Of course, as soon I am not drowning myself.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Thank you anyway.

Adam Pribyl