guix-devel

Re: Guix at the Open Bioinformatics Codefest 2014 hackathon

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: Guix at the Open Bioinformatics Codefest 2014 hackathon
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:50:58 -0400

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
> Haha, demo effect.  :-)  What kind of difficulties was it?  Relating to
> substitutes?  (hydra.gnu.org has been suffering from DoS over the last
> couple of weeks...)

Yeah, the substitutes not working made my demo of installing emacs on
my Debian machine with Guix fail.  The other problem was my own,
because I forgot to authorize hydra.gnu.org in the VM image I was
showing off.  I guess it didn't matter in the end, because substitutes
weren't working at all.  I was at least able to show them an
operating-system definition, create a VM image from it, and boot it
with qemu.

> We can host the slides in guix-maintenance.git and/or on the web page if
> you want.

Yeah, they're really basic, but I can commit them to guix-maintenance
for good measure.  Do I have commit access to that repo since I'm in
the guix group on savannah?

> Yup, thanks for giving a talk!

It was a lot of fun!

- Dave