guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 15:47:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Adam Pribyl wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> skribis:

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

[...]

The installation image’s root is mounted by label.  So if you happen to
have a different partition with the label ‘gnu-disk-image’, then it may
end up mounting the wrong partition.  That’s what’s happening here,
right?

Well, could be, this is a test machine where I installed the previous
USB image. If the name is the same at installes as the USB OS, then it
is very probable.

The partition is manually created by the user.  So unless you did
‘mkfs.ext2 -L gnu-disk-image ...’, there’s no reason it uses the same
name.

But can you actually check whether this is the case, for instance using
the ‘blkid’ command?

Sorry, I was completely wrong, the new liveUSB has e2fsprogs, however I probably do have the problem with ahci module too, and I confused the old /dev/sda harddrive which is now missing, and /dev/sda USB. So this is it. My HDD is not visible with the new USB image.

OK, one more correction - the ahci module is loaded and HDD detected, but /dev/sdf is not created. There is just sda to sdd..

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl

Adam Pribyl