guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 12:09:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

I’ve finally fixed this problem: <http://bugs.gnu.org/18061>.
Not perfect, since it requires users to type an extra command, but that
seems acceptable to me.

I would very much appreciate new tests and feedback.  Here’s a new image
with this fix:

 http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/gnu-usb-install-20140723.x86_64.xz

http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/gnu-usb-install-20140723.x86_64.xz.asc
 SHA1: 7d277ed9a0927fd08e211125eca9a8bea98e7c3e

(For 32-bit, you can rebuild it with the usual command.)

Installation went fine.

I can not boot installed system, boot looks for /dev/sda1 which is not present. It smells to me like the same problem with devtmpfs previously in live USB... I found in grub the reference to /dev/sda1 (as LiveUSB now with udev in devtmpfs and kernel 3.15.6 asigns the HDD /dev/sda) but it looks like the kernel booting from HDD is not seeing it like this.

Notes:
- Installed system has kernel 3.15.5 and guix 0.6 while the liveUSB has kernel 3.15.6 and guix 0.7

- The help file on tty2 needs to be updated to accomodate the info about cow-store

- I would vote for the basic config.scm to be present on the USB somewhere, it is time consuming to rewrite one from help to the file. (Could be I may copy it somehow from info page, but I would need a help how to do that.)

- Time synchro or at least hwclock --hctosys would be fine as everything is installed 1.1.1970

- My boot is somewhat long due to missing firmware for a Radeon graphics card and "fatal error during GPU init". This is probably due to linux-libre kernel. I am not sure if this could be mitigated somehow, generally is not a problem.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

Adam Pribyl