guix-devel

Re: System installation from a USB stick

From: Adam Pribyl
Subject: Re: System installation from a USB stick
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:10:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, David Thompson wrote:

Adam Pribyl <address@hidden> writes:

I can not boot installed system, boot looks for /dev/sda1 which is not
present. It smells to me like the same problem with devtmpfs previously in
live USB... I found in grub the reference to /dev/sda1 (as LiveUSB now
with udev in devtmpfs and kernel 3.15.6 asigns the HDD /dev/sda) but it
looks like the kernel booting from HDD is not seeing it like this.

This could be an instance of the problem that bit me last night.  The
version of Guix that gets installed (0.6, as you mentioned in your
notes), uses an initrd that cannot see SATA hard disks.  So, as a
work-around, you must explicitly add the relevant kernel modules in your
operating-system definition like so:

 (use-modules (gnu) (srfi srfi-26))

 (define my-os
   (operating-system
     (initrd (cut base-initrd <> #:extra-modules '("libahci.ko" "ahci.ko")))
     ...))

OK, this was it. No it's booting! Thanks.

--
David Thompson

Notes continued:

- guix package -i results in a need to "chgrp 30000 /gnu/store..."

- attempt to install any package I tried results in a build process of many packages including gcc and linux-libre-3.3.8-gnu
I do not understand why this is happening

Adam Pribyl