guix-devel

Re: Emacs interface for Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Emacs interface for Guix
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 22:36:59 +0200

Hi, Alex,

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have questions about installing/deleting packages using guile repl.
> I know it is possible to ‘(guix-package "--install" "guile-2.0.11")’,
> but is there an easy way to install an output of an exact _package
> object_?  I mean not any "guile" but #<package guile-2.0.11 ...>.
>
> I think ‘(guix-package "--install-from-expression" ...)’ is also not
> sufficient as it always (?) installs “out”.

This is correct.  (It could be worked around by adding a command-line
option to specify another output, but that just hadn’t seem very useful
so far.)

> There is a lot of code in “guix/scripts/package.scm” to do all that
> stuff and unfortunately not much is exported from this module
> (“package->manifest-entry” from “options->installable” would be very
> useful for example), and I think trying to include this code in the
> helper scheme file for guix.el is not right (besides my scheme foo is
> weak and I'm not sure I can do that successfully) that's why I ask
> about an easier way.

Well, you’ve already understood what needs to be done.  :-)

Namely, (guix scripts package) needs to be made more modular, and the
generic bits must be moved to (guix profiles).  Now that there’s a
second consumer for this API, there’s more of an incentive to do it.

I’m willing to help for that, but I’m happy if you give it a try.
WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.