guix-devel

Re: Regarding a *.iso image.

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Regarding a *.iso image.
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 11:31:34 -0400

Guy Grant <address@hidden> writes:

> Are there a plan to officially support a *.iso image at some point?
>
> I happen to find myself in a situation where I'm running fairly modern
> bios, and yet it has no support for usb images... which leaves this
> version of the installer more-or-less useless to me.

Given that CDs are on the decline, we should probably find out how to
make a USB image that can be booted on such systems.

> I'm really excited to play with Guix on a deeper level, but right now
> I can't run it right on the metal, which is a shame.

There's another way: from another GNU/Linux system running Guix on the
same system, create a new partition, mount it, and then run (as root):

  guix system init /path/to/your/os-config.scm /mount-point

      Mark