guix-devel

Re: guix packages

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: guix packages
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:10:40 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 10:02:30AM +0200, Federico Beffa wrote:
> Given that guix is based on nix and currently nix has many more
> packages available than guix, is there (or is it planned to have) an
> automated procedure for porting nix packages to guix? (Actually a
> bidirectional procedure would be interesting.)

The package declaration language is too different to import them from one
to the other. Also, we try to run the test suites of packages, and nix does
not. Regularly, there is a bit of work involved in getting the tests to run
(including patching and reporting bugs upstream).

But notice that you can run one on top of the other.

Andreas