guix-devel

Re: guix-shell?

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: guix-shell?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 07:32:05 -0400

> "Thompson, David" <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I hope we can make use of Nix's {pip,bower,node,...}2nix scripts and
>> make Guix versions.  But first, we need to write guix-shell!
>
> I think nix-shell is mostly equivalent to:
>
>   eval `guix package --search-paths`
>
> Although maybe it would be better to have a command that does it without
> actually having to create a profile.

Hmm, I thought that this was a perfect use-case for profiles.  I haven't
read the source to nix-shell yet, but I inferred that it essentially did
the following:

1) Create profile in project directory
2) Install dependencies
3) Run the desired shell
4) Prepend the new profile's /bin to $PATH
5) Set search path env vars

How would we do it without creating a profile?

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org