guix-devel

Re: New x86 machine

From: David Thompson
Subject: Re: New x86 machine
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 22:35:23 -0400

> This is really appreciated and welcome in this time of rebuilds, thanks!
>
> Now the bottleneck has clearly become the front-end (at least in terms
> of RAM, disk space, CPU.)  I think we have to consider moving the
> front-end elsewhere, possibly on this new machine or the one provided by
> TUM.
>
> For that, we’ll need volunteers to help with:
>
>   1. general sysadmin work.
>
>   2. packaging of Hydra and its dependencies (Hydra is written in Perl
>      and depends on a number of Perl libraries.)
>

>From what I can tell, there is no official release tarball of Hydra.  I
guess we'd have to settle for packaging a snapshot of the git repo?

When trying to build Hydra, I get the error "configure: error: nix-store
is required".  Do I need to have Nix installed, or is there a configure
flag I can pass to use Guix?

> For the brave hacker, there’s also this option:
>
>   2b. Write a Hydra replacement in Scheme, probably building upon
>       David’s neat guix-web.

I wonder how difficult this would be.  I haven't explored the full
feature set of Hydra, but I bet we have all the building blocks that we
need.  It would be very interesting to explore this more.

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org