guix-devel

Re: New x86 machine

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: New x86 machine
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 22:07:48 +0200

David Thompson <address@hidden> skribis:

> From what I can tell, there is no official release tarball of Hydra.  I
> guess we'd have to settle for packaging a snapshot of the git repo?

Yes.

> When trying to build Hydra, I get the error "configure: error: nix-store
> is required".  Do I need to have Nix installed, or is there a configure
> flag I can pass to use Guix?

Hydra requires Nix for its command-line interface and for its Perl
bindings.  But it uses only the low-level stuff (essentially what the
(guix store) module provides), which is compatible between Nix and Guix.

>> For the brave hacker, there’s also this option:
>>
>>   2b. Write a Hydra replacement in Scheme, probably building upon
>>       David’s neat guix-web.
>
> I wonder how difficult this would be.  I haven't explored the full
> feature set of Hydra, but I bet we have all the building blocks that we
> need.  It would be very interesting to explore this more.

I think we’d rather think in terms of the features we need.  The
3-process architecture described at
<http://hydra.nixos.org/job/hydra/trunk/tarball/latest/download-by-type/doc/manual>
under “Getting Started” should be mostly appropriate, I think.

Thanks,
Ludo’.