guix-devel

Re: pypi->guix script

From: Cyril Roelandt
Subject: Re: pypi->guix script
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 00:40:49 +0200

On 09/09/2014 03:05 PM, Thompson, David wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 3:39 AM, Ludovic Court�s <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On second though, all the importers should have shared infrastructure.
>> Theres already the Nix importer, and the guix import command.
>> Perhaps importers could use guix import as a shared front-end.
>>

> That sounds reasonable.  I will try to do that when I get around to
> integrating it with Guix.
>
> Last night, I removed the guile-curl dependency and added another
> backend that generates a package object.  I'm debating if I should
> tackle automatically generating the proper inputs before integrating
> it with the rest of Guix.

First of all, congrats! This looks really good and will be really useful.

I think you should release early :) It might be quite a pain to list all
inputs: you may have to read (test-)requirements.txt, setup.py (and
maybe actually evaluate some Python code) and deal with less standards
way of listing dependencies. Also, you might need some binaries or C
libraries installed, and it's usually not something that is well
specified in Python packages :/

This looks already good enough to be included; I'd just love to see
something more generic, with an architecture that would make it easy to
package software from other sources, as said in my previous email.

My 2 cents,
Cyril.