guix-devel

Device mapping & LUKS

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Device mapping & LUKS
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 10:20:16 +0200

Hi!

With commit 5dae018, it’s possible to declared “mapped devices”.  I use
it for my /home partition which is LUKS-encrypted:

(operating-system
  (host-name "pluto")
  (timezone "Europe/Paris")
  (locale "en_US.UTF-8")

  (mapped-devices (list (mapped-device
                         (source "/dev/sda3")
                         (target "home")
                         (command luks-device-mapping))))

  (file-systems (cons* (file-system
                         (device "root")
                         (title 'label)
                         (mount-point "/")
                         (type "ext3"))
                       (file-system
                         (device "/dev/mapper/home")
                         (mount-point "/home")
                         (type "ext3"))
                       %base-file-systems))
  ;;; ...
  )

The effect is to run ‘cryptsetup open --type luks /dev/sda3 home’ before
/home is mounted, which prompts for a pass phrase.

I’ll add a section in the manual real soon.

(Conceptually “file systems” and “mapped devices” are about the same,
and the Hurd makes no difference, but I think we have to expose it
separately for the sake of Linux-based systems.)

Ludo’.