guix-devel

Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 22:10:31 -0500

* On 2014 20 Sep 15:36 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> FWIW a recipe to install the system in a VM was posted at
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2014-09/msg00149.html>
> (also read subsequent messages for troubleshooting.)

Trying the method shown in the referenced thread, except for having a
separate swap image, left me with a very slow system to boot.  It took
about two minutes for the Grub menu to appear and then I gave up after
several minutes of no indication that the kernel would ever start.  I
suspect the VM had device contention between competing /dev/sda devices.

I went back to the way I had originally had success booting the USB
image file and now my target hard disk is /dev/sdb1.  Looking at the SCM
template in section 6.1.4 of the installation manual, I see the function
template:

         (bootloader (grub-configuration (device "/dev/sdX")))

Is it possible to specify a UUID for the device here?  That would be
unambiguous as when the new installation is started, it should be
/dev/sda but is presently /dev/sdb.  Am I over thinking this?

- Nate