guix-devel

Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu

From: Nate Bargmann
Subject: Re: Trying to install Guix with Qemu
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2014 20:38:01 -0500

* On 2014 21 Sep 13:56 -0500, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> This is weird, there’s no reason why it would be slower than whatever
> else you did before.  Are you running QEMU with ‘-enable-kvm’?

Yes.  The only difference that I could really see is that I chose to
create my image in the qcow2 format rather than raw.  Here is what I
used to do the installation:

qemu-system-i386 -enable-kvm -m 512 -hdb Guix.qcow2 -usb
~/tmp/gnu-usb-install-0.7.i686

This runs quickly enough, although a far cry from a native installation.

> This device name is passed directly to ‘grub-install’.  If that command
> supports UUIDs, that would work.  I suspect it really needs a /dev name,
> though (info "(grub) Invoking grub-install"):
>
>        grub-install INSTALL_DEVICE
>
>      The device name INSTALL_DEVICE is an OS device name or a GRUB device
>   name.

Looking in the Grub info documentation on my Debian system confirms the
above and is silent on the issue of UUID.

> Now, this device name just needs to be correct at the time GRUB is
> installed; it doesn’t matter afterwards.

Thanks very much for that clue.  I ran the installation with grub set to
install to /dev/sdb and it happily booted into the hard disk image.  Now
my task is to read the manual and get familiar with Guix.

Thanks!

- Nate