guix-devel

wrap-program

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: wrap-program
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 09:11:35 +0200

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> This 'wrap-program' strategy of setting environment variables before
> running a program has problems.  In this case, it means that every
> program run within Emacs will inherit that GSETTINGS_SCHEMA_DIR value.
>
> Along the same lines, I've noticed that when running WindowMaker, all of
> the programs within my X session include a WindowMaker-specific
> directory at the front of PATH.
>
> It would be good to find another solution.

I think whether using ‘wrap-program’ is a good strategy has to be
evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

In some cases it’s OK, in others (like wmaker), it’s not so nice.

In cases like wmaker, another solution would be to patch the source code
to execute directly the right binaries, without changing PATH.  The
downside is that it’s often less convenient to do.

Thanks,
Ludo’.