guix-devel

Re: ui: Move 'show-manifest-transaction' from (guix profiles).

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: ui: Move 'show-manifest-transaction' from (guix profiles).
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:31:55 +0400

Ludovic Courtès (2014-10-08 23:55 +0400) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

[...]

> This is another circularity issue.  :-/
>
> There’s:
>
>   (guix store) -> (guix nar) -> (guix ui) -> (guix store) ...
>
> This shouldn’t be a problem, except that occasional uses of #:select
> trigger a bug (see <http://bugs.gnu.org/15540>.)

Ouch, thanks for the explanation.

> I’ve fiddled a bit on top of your patch, but couldn’t find any simple
> fix.
>
> However, back to the initial problem, is this a problem if the error
> conditions are defined in (guix profiles), which is then imported by
> (guix ui)?  This is suboptimal, but this kind of circular reference
> shouldn’t cause any troubles.

Do you mean to "#:select" condition types in (guix ui)?  I tried but it
failed for me even on “make” (the patch I tried and the make output are
attached).  So it looks like even selecting from (guix profile) won't
work in (guix ui) or did I miss something?

What about making an auxiliary (guix conditions) module with all
existing condition types, and use it where needed?  I could try to work
on it if it sounds reasonable.  WDYT?