guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:27:59 +0300

Andreas Enge (2014-10-30 01:22 +0300) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 09:03:44AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>> > But currently it's not possible to install 2 (or more) packages with the
>> > same name.  So a user can't have guile 2.0 and guile 1.8 in the same
>> > profile.  The same thing with python: there is no ‘python2’ package.
>> > Both python packages have “python” name and can't be installed in the
>> > same profile, as far as I understand.
>>
>> Good point! (Somehow I thought there was ‘python2’.)
>
> Is it really not possible to install two packages with the same name?
> I thought you could do
>    guix package -i python python-2.7.6
> where the first one will chose the latest package? It just requires that
> there are no overlapping paths.

I think such an "evil" case is just not handled currently.  If you have
python-3… installed and you install python-2… in the same profile, then
python-3… would be replaced, but if you install both packages in the
same command, then both would be installed.  It's OK for pythons,
because there are no name collisions in these packages, but if you try
to install both "guile-2.0.11" and "guile-1.8.8" is such a way, then you
will have several collisions.

So I think installing packages with the same name in one transaction
should also be prohibited.

As both python packages can co-exist in one profile, either python-2…
may be renamed into “python2” or python-3… into “python3”.  As python3
is the future, I think it would be better to have “python2” and “python”
(which is python3) packages.  Or maybe they shouldn't be renamed and we
can introduce a little collision instead by adding "…/bin/python"
symlink to python-3… package.