guix-devel

Re: Problems with downloading from https

From: Ian Denhardt
Subject: Re: Problems with downloading from https
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:54:12 -0400

Quoting Alex Kost (2014-10-30 15:08:08)
> This is what you currently have: you can install both, and "python" would
> be a link to "python2".
>
> But installing 2 packages with the same name is not intended (to prevent
> file names collision), so I think it would be better to rename one of the
> pythons into "python2"/"python3".

Yeah, I understood. I'd been thinking it would be nice to be able to
tune which one.

It actually wouldn't be a matter of "renaming" anything, so much as
getting rid of the symlink from one package -- on my arch system for
example,

* /usr/bin/python is a symlink to /usr/bin/python3
* /usr/bin/python3 is a symlink to /usr/bin/python3.4

In any case, I don't feel terribly strongly, but it feels like it
shouldn't be that hard to get the target of that symlink to be
user/sysadmin-configurable.

-Ian