guix-devel

Different versions of a package in the same profile?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Different versions of a package in the same profile?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 00:07:14 +0100

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 03:31:15PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
>> I think the latter is a bug.  IMHO it shouldn't be possible to install
>> several packages with the same name in one profile.
>
> Well, having python 2 and 3 is reasonable, and from what I saw in their
> naming scheme, it is entirely possible (the python binary being renamed
> to python 3). Qt 4 and 5 are, I think, another case. How about GTK+ 2 and 3?

Actually, Qt 4 and 5 use non-versioned file names under bin/.

Technically it would be easy to allow the installation of different
versions of a package in the same profile, but I wonder about the
implications.

For instance, ‘-u foo’ would upgrade all the installed versions of
‘foo’, so you would end up with exactly the same version twice.

Ludo’.