guix-devel

Re: .po files and git pull --rebase

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: .po files and git pull --rebase
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 21:29:43 +0100

Federico Beffa <address@hidden> skribis:

> Now, "git status" tells me that there are the following .po files
> which are modified and not staged:
>
> # On branch master
> # Changes not staged for commit:
> #   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
> #   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
> #
> #    modified:   po/guix/cs.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/de.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/eo.po
> #    modified:   po/guix/hu.po

Those files are updated typically when running ‘make dist’ (it’s really
just gettext adjusting the line numbers, adding new translatable
strings, etc.)

It’s safe to discard those changes, for instance with:

  git reset --hard

(Beware, this command discards all uncommitted changes!)

> Is it OK to tell git to ignore those files with:
>
> git update-index --assume-unchanged po/guix/cs.po

I’m not sure what it does but it sounds too low-level.

HTH,
Ludo’.