guix-devel

Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 16:28:25 -0500

On 05/11/14 15:16, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> From a strategical perspective, I fail to see why the distinction
>> between GNU/Linux-libre and GNU/Hurd could be of any relevance.  IMHO,
>> calling both simply "GNU" would help in the promotion of the GNU
>> project and its ideals.  That would not cause confusion, because GNU
>> would be defined as an operating system of multiple kernels, and
>> technical-inclined people would always know how to tell the difference
>> when needed or appropriate.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Ludo’.

Since I completely agree with Bruno, here is the GRUB image proposal
using the GNU logo:

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/gnu/2014-11-05-grub-dark.png

If something impedes us to name the system just GNU (I hope not) here
are the variation of the Guix background I promised.

One of the comments was that the red color could be distracting, so here
are versions with gray, green and blue instead. I also made the text a
bit lighter to increase contrast.

GRAY:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-gray.png

GREEN:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-green.png

BLUE:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-blue.png

RED:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-red.png

I also tried to add the GNU logo somewhere, as Ludovic suggested. It was
difficult, so I made this version with the GNU head on the background.

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-gnu-blue.png

Finally, I made a dark text on light background version, as Andreas
suggested. Personally, I'd go with the dark one.

http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-light-blue.png

Let me know what you think,

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo