guix-devel

Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB

From: Felipe López
Subject: Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 11:09:09 -0500

On 06/11/14 04:58, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Felipe López <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Since I completely agree with Bruno, here is the GRUB image proposal
>> using the GNU logo:
>>
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/gnu/2014-11-05-grub-dark.png
>
> [...]
>
>> GRAY:
>> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-gray.png
>
> Very nice!  I have a slight preference for the gray version.
>
> Also, as discussed with Bruno, I think it would be better to have both
> the GNU and Guix logo.  I would make the Guix logo smaller, and put it
> in a corner, or maybe below the GNU logo, or maybe next to it.
>
> WDYT?

Since the background with the GNU head seems to work, here is modified
version. I made the head a bit more visible and moved the Guix logo to a
corner.

MOD:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-06-grub-dark-gnu-blue.png

ORIGINAL:
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guix/2014-11-05-grub-dark-gnu-blue.png

> Please let me know what you Savannah account is, so you can add your
> work to the guix-artwork repo.

I just sent a request to join the project in Savannah.

> Besides, is there anything I should know to get the GRUB config to
> display it correctly, with the right size, aspect ratio, etc.?

You have to set the following options in GRUB configuration:

GRUB_GFXMODE
GRUB_BACKGROUND

I would provide one SVG version of the background for the following
aspect ratios: 4:3, 16:10, 16:9. Then, you build PNG versions in
specific sizes (for example, 1024x768, 1440x900, 1920x1080).

Ideally, GRUB should be able to decide what GFXMODE and BACKGROUND to
use for every screen. However, the last time I provided GRUB stuff for
gNewSense (for GRUB legacy), GRUB would determine the display size and
use the same background image (a 640x480 PNG) for all aspect ratios.
This resulted in stretched background images, so usually we would make
the image as simple as possible: no text or shapes, just a background
with gradients.

But, since Guix is using GRUB 2, which is supposed to be more flexible,
we should at least try to see if it can use an appropriate image for a
given display.

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/