guix-devel

Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB

From: Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
Subject: Re: [ART] Background image for GRUB
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 18:08:46 -0200

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) wrote:

> As a long-time GNU contributor and maintainer, I’m pretty sure
> Andreas is fully aware of what you’re saying.

If that's the case, why didn't *he* say it to me instead of stating that
Guix is the GNU system itself?  If still being *fully aware* of what
I've said, and contemplating the soundness of the arguments one still
states that sort of thing, it's better to have a killer argument.
However I don't think someone who might have it would stay in silence,
since he could have settled the case in his favor.

> That does not mean he cannot have a slightly different opinion on
> what should appear on the boot screen, after all.  Please respect
> those facts.

I'm fine with him having a different[0] opinion about anything and I
respect that.  The problem is not justifying a request that would affect
us all based entirely on his particular opinion.

> Also, keep in mind that we need to Richard’s assent before we can
> call our work “the GNU system” (two years ago I thought we had his
> assent, hence the logo etc., but later discussions suggested
> otherwise.)

Even if that was the case, I don't think that's the reason Andreas is so
worried about the Guix brand.

> We all agree on the goal, let’s just keep hacking until it’s obvious
>  that our work fits the bill and deserves the Grand Name.  :-)

How could you say that "we all agree on the goal"?  How could you
possibly know that?  Particularly when the evidence points otherwise?
Only each individual knows what he or she agrees with.

There is no bill to be fitted.  There is the GNU system.  A group of
people might be working on it or not.  GNU hackers are certainly working
on it.  That's all.

Also, this is not a question of deserving the "Grand Name", since that
name is rightfully ours: we are the ones working on it!  Don't let
people say otherwise.  If even you, GNU hacker, are not sure whether or
not you are working on the one true and complete GNU operating system,
how can you expect other people to acknowledge it?  To me, it just
doesn't make any sense.

Footnotes:

[0] Please don't understate things.  That's a lot more than *slightly*
because the meaning and implications are very different.

--
 ,= ,-_-. =.  Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro (oitofelix) [0x28D618AF]
((_/)o o(\_)) There is no system but GNU;